1 cup packed, pitted Medjool dates (approx 12) , soak for 20 minutes (optional)
1 cup rolled oats
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 cup Shinoussa protein powder (Favorite flavor, chocolate works well)
1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
2 tbsp almond milk
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1/2 cup walnuts
1/4 cup almonds
4 tbsp mini dark chocolate chips, dairy free
1-2 tbsp unsweetened coconut, for garnish
1. Line a loaf pan with two pieces of parchment paper, one going each way. Set aside. In a food processor, process the pitted dates until chopped and sticky.
2. Add in the rolled oats, cocoa powder, protein powder, salt, peppermint extract, and almond milk. Process until combined, scraping down the side of the bowl as needed.
3. Add in the nuts, and chocolate chips and pulse until combined and sticky. It should be sticky enough to easily make a ball.
4. Crumble mixture all over the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle a handful of flaked coconut on top and press mixture into pan with slightly wet fingers. Cover with a piece of parchment paper and roll out smooth with a pastry roller.
5. Freeze for about 30 minutes or until set. Slice into 6 rows and then slice rows in half to make 12 small bars. I prefer these straight from the freezer.